Wednesday, October 20, 2010

like I need another hobby!

So since mid September I've been visiting my Grandma on Monday nights and learning how to sew a quilt. I've wanted to learn for awhile and though I have basic sewing skills I've never attempted anything more than hemming pants or making hand puppets out of felt for the kids. I mean I took the home ec classes at school and my mom is an excellent seamstress but really sewing didn't tell me much. But I really wanted to spend time with my Grandma and learn her craft.
I'm shocked at how well things are turning out! This is the quilt so far. I'll be adding a couple more strips of denim and cotton along the top and bottom just to lengthen it but basically its almost done.
 Learning from my Grandma is really cool because she's so pro at doing these quilts that she doesn't press seams or pin anything! I, on the other hand, really need to pin because the fabric slips a lot for me.
 Totally laughing at this photo! I had just finished my last panel for the night when I ran out of thread on the top spool! Honest I didn't mess up!
My zig zagging stitch, which I think is the most fun for me. Don't ask me why ;) So now I've got this quilting bug that I want to go buy cool fabrics and create with them! Cause you all know I have so much free time lol!

2 comments:

M Plamondon said...

Eeeek! Oh no, sewing got a hold of you too. LOL! Great job so far. I love learning from the older generation. They know SO MUCH! If you ever need a buddy to go to a fabric or quilting store let me know! ;-)

Sandra @ The Memory Workshop said...

Sigh! If I didn't scrapbook I would quilt and sew. That's what I used to do before the scrapbooking bug hit me 10 years ago. I have an unfinished quilt top that I started in high school...

Scrapbooking and quilting are very much alike, in that they are CRAFTS WITH A PURPOSE, and meant to be enjoyed by many :)

I love that you are learning to quilt from your Grandma. That's a precious gift.