Friday, February 24, 2017

One little word 2017

For the past many years I've chosen a word to focus on for the upcoming year. I've never really liked the idea of resolutions but a word to apply to my daily life is something that really connected with me. I first read about it via Ali Edwards and each year I've chosen a word that really spoke to me.

Last year my word was "UP" which seemed like such a good choice for such an important year and the fact that things were changing with my first born graduating high school. Around July/August the word "UP" just seemed to grate on my nerves like a rock in my shoe. It didn't fit anymore. It felt like there was so much pressure with it. Like I had to constantly be lifting people up or being "up" all the time. And to be honest, there was lots of things that happened that didn't equate to the word up. So I let it go.

This year I really thought that I had found my word back in November, the word "enough" kept coming to me...like enough already. I had enough of the body issues, I had enough of the extended family issues, I had had enough.

But as January came closer and I really started to think on that word it didn't seem to fit much at all. It was sounding to me like it was too soft, enough. I wanted a word that was more action orientated and had a more positive ring to it.


As I was on the treadmill one day the word "rise" came to me. Mulling it around in my brain it just seems to fit with was I was hoping for this year. The rising above it all, the negativity and the pressure. The simple act of rising above the expectations of others really hit home with me. 



 I have big plans for this summer and am making some major changes in my life and while I'm anxious to get to that point, I know that the wait is a really good thing. These months of waiting will allow me time to mentally and physically prepare for this summer. So as I wait...I will rise. 

No comments: