Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sugar Free November


I'm taking part of a sugar free November challenge right now. I felt that it would be good for my health to cut back on my sugar intake. I've been finding many ways to cut my cravings which are getting better all the time. Lots of fruits, veggies, light cheese and almonds have been helping. But I love having some baking. Here's my favorite muffin recipe that has been a huge hit with my family, except for the Prince of Plain, he won't touch them.


Pumpkin Pecan Bread (made into muffins)

~taken from 375 sensational Splenda recipes by Marlene Koch~


Ingredients:

1/4 c. canola oil
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 c. low fat buttermilk (or skim milk with 1tsp. vinegar)
2 tbsp. molasses*
1 c. + 2 tbsp. splenda granular
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger**
1/4 tsp. cloves **
1/3 c. chopped pecans


* I don't care for the taste of molasses so I just add the extra pumpkin puree instead of molasses
** I just add 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice


Steps:

1. preheat oven to 350 F and spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray
2. whisk together oil, pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk, molasses and splenda
3. add flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and nuts into mixture and mix till just blended (don't overmix!)
4. spoon into muffin tins
5. bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: